Island of the Leeward Island s, in the West Indies, E of Puerto Rico. It received its name from Columbus, who discovered it on St. Martin’s day in 1493.
The Dutch and the French both occupied it in the 1640s, and it has been equitably divided between them ever since. The Dutch part, slightly smaller but more valuable, takes up the southern section of the island and belongs to the Netherland s Antilles.
The French part in the north is associated governmentally with Guadeloupe. Marigot is the capital of the French area and Philipsburg the chief town of the Dutch section. With a climate and scenery that attracts many tourists, the island produces cotton, sugarcane, and tropical fruits.
|Marigot||5,700||-63.08 x 18.07||America/Guadeloupe|