Introduction of Shumen
Provincial capital of Shumen province, approximately 50 mi W of Varna. Founded in a.d. 927, it was fortified under Turkish rule from the 15th to 19th centuries.
It was a strategically important stronghold, often under attack in the Turks’ various wars. The city was surrendered to Russia on June 22, 1878, toward the end of the Russo-Turkish War. It was briefly renamed Kolarovgrad in 1950, in honor of the Bulgarian communist leader who was born here. The town is the site of the largest mosque in Bulgaria, built in 1649.