Introduction of Saint-Malo
Town of Brittany, on the English Channel, 40 miNNW of Rennes. In the sixth century Welsh monksbuilt a monastery nearby, and in the ninth centuryrefugees from Saint-Servan, also nearby, fled to thesite to escape Norman raiders. St-Malo became partof France in 1491. It was a prosperous port in the15th century and in the 17th and 18th centuries itbenefited from numerous navigators, traders, and privateerswho used its port in spite of English efforts toget rid of the pirates.In World War II German troops, who held thecity as a stronghold, burned it before retreating inAugust 1944 in the face of the Allied advance. Oldramparts and 17th-century architecture make St-Malo interesting. Jacques Cartier (1491-1557), discovererof the St. Lawrence River, and FranР·oisRene de Chateaubriand (1768-1848), the author,were born here.SAINT MARTIN Island of the Leeward Island s, in the West Indies, Eof Puerto Rico. It received its name from Columbus,who discovered it on St. Martin's day in 1493.The Dutch and the French both occupied it in the1640s, and it has been equitably divided betweenthem ever since. The Dutch part, slightly smaller butmore valuable, takes up the southern section of theisland and belongs to the Netherland s Antilles.The French part in the north is associated governmentallywith Guadeloupe. Marigot is the capital ofthe French area and Philipsburg the chief town of theDutch section. With a climate and scenery that attractsmany tourists, the island produces cotton, sugarcane,and tropical fruits.